Preferred Name Information
Find out how to change your information in order to use your preferred name while attending NWP.
Can I use my preferred name at NWP?
A student's preferred name may be used on unofficial NWP documents, tools, and platforms, such as:
- class lists
- student ID cards
- email address
Our information systems are complex, and we are working to improve preferred name usage at NWP. If you come across a situation where you believe your preferred name should be used, email email@example.com.
NWP is working to expand the use of preferred names. We will continue to update this list as improvements are made.
How do I update my preferred name at NWP?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request to have a preferred name added to your account.
- Visit us at the Student Services Office (H103 - Grande Prairie Campus or FAC131 – Fairview Campus).
Updating your account to include your preferred name does not change your legal name or records with NWP or government agencies.
When can I update my preferred name at NWP?
This update can be done at any time of the year, however it is recommended students make this update as early in the year as possible to ensure their preferred name is reflected in NWP documents, tools, and platforms.
Where can I expect my legal name to be used at NWP?
A student's legal name will appear on official university documents such as:
- NWP transcript
- Parchment/convocation documents
- Reports to Advanced Education
- Tax forms
- Financial Aid, Scholarship, and Bursary documents
- Confirmation of Enrolment
I have changed my legal name; how do I change it with NWP?
If you have changed your legal name since applying for admission, the process is simple to change it on all NWP records.
- Fill out the Change of Name and/or Address form and submit it to the Registrar's Office with legal documentation confirming your name change (valid driver's license, passport, birth certificate, marriage license, etc.).
Other Important Processes
For more information about using your preferred name, please contact: